Thursday, December 15, 2005

Yule Tied
It's getting close to Christmas and I'm starting to feel guilty even saying the word. I'm half Wasp (with some Catholic) and half Jewish. We've always celebrated Christmas on both sides of my family, more as an American holiday than as a religious observance. A staunch supporter of liberal causes, I long ago settled on "Happy Holidays" as a way of respecting everyone's form of celebration. However, the recent flap over "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas" has left me feeling not so happy or merry. First, I'm tired of being politically correct. Second, it serves as a constant reminder for me of the liberal/conservative split that is more severe than I can ever remember it being in the US; at least in my lifetime. Uttering "Happy Holidays" now makes me think about the War in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, Abortion, Tookie Williams, the Environment, and a myriad of other bothersome things. Festivus is starting to look more and more appealing...or maybe this is the solution: http://www.chrismukkah.com

No comments: