Thursday, May 08, 2003

I'm now in Marina del Rey, CA at my father's apartment looking out on the boats. I came down last night for a business meeting today. On the flight down I watched a documentary titled "RevolutionOS," which is about the open source/free software movement.

I have to admit, I don't really "get" open source software. I mean I understand the basics, but what I don't really have is a sense of it's future. I still see a big divide between the development community and users. The UI's and applications that your average programmer wants to use are so radically different than what consumers want...I wonder if/when that gap will truly be bridged. Otherwise, I guess it will be permanently relegated to professional IT applications. Sure is interesting and I would love to study/think about ways to apply the model to other human endeavor.

No comments: